With the pure-tone hearing test, we record the softest sounds at each frequency you are able to hear, which helps us better understand the type of hearing issue you are experiencing.
The speech test is used to reinforce the results of the pure-tone test by having you repeat back words spoken at various loudness levels. The speech test may be conducted in a noisy or quiet environment.
Middle Ear Test
There are two types of middle ear tests. Each will provide our team with valuable information about your middle ear.
- Tympanometry – Tympanometry is administered to check for any physical blockage of your middle ear, including fluid, ear wax, or perforation of the eardrum.
- Acoustic Reflex – When stimulated by loud sound, a tiny muscle in your ear will contract. By discovering the intensity in which the muscle contracts, it enables our audiologists to determine the type of hearing issue you are experiencing.
Otoacoustic Emissions (OAE’s)
This is a test of the integrity of the inner ear (cochlea).
After we compile the results, our team will be able to determine –
- Whether there is a hearing loss
- The cause of the hearing loss (to the extent possible)
- The degree and configuration (one or both ears?) of hearing loss
- Sound tolerance issues
- The best treatment options for you